- Our students need digital skills to be prepared for the jobs of their future, and to function in daily life now.
- As educators we need digital skills to communicate more effectively with our students, provide them with more engaging learning experiences, and to stay organized ourselves.
Tuesday, October 12, 2021
Tuesday, October 5, 2021
A few years ago I created my "Build a Jack-O-Lantern" activity for Google Slides. It was a giant hit with students as it let them be creative while improving their writing skills and tech skills.
With Fall here once again, I decided to revisit this favorite activity and add a new twist to it. In the years since I first created this project, we now have an amazing new tool in the Chrome Web Extension called Mote.
Mote is a free tool that makes it easy for you and your students to record your voice and add it directly into your slideshow (or document, form, email, and so much more). With Mote we can make this activity even more engaging than ever.
- You can use Mote to add audio support to the activity by recording directions and embedding them right into the slideshow.
- Your students can use Mote to record themselves reading aloud the Jack-O-Lantern story they write, and embed their narrated story into their slide.
- And the students can record themselves making spooky sound effects or speaking for their pumpkin.
I had the pleasure of recording a video with Jon Neale and Sue Tranchina for their pop-up Mote PD series. See below for the short video explaining how your students can do the "Build a Jack-O-Lantern" activity with Google Slides and Mote, as well as detailed written directions.
Friday, October 1, 2021
The monthly meetings are hosted by the Google Educator Group of Ohio, but are open to anyone from any location. The purpose of these meetings is to:
- Connect Google-using educators
- Share the latest Google Workspace news and features
- Provide tutorials, demonstrations, and how-to’s
- Share best practices of how Google Workspace is being used within schools
- Ask questions and get answers