A "Pi Poem" is composed of words where the length of each word is equal to each digit of pi in order. So for example, the beginning of the poem would be made of a 3-letter word, 1-letter word, 4-letter word, 1-letter word, and 5-letter word, for the beginning of pi which starts as 3.1415. Punctuation doesn't count.
This fun student writing activity could plug into the school year in several places:
- During your poetry unit
- National Poetry Month in April
- When working on vocabulary skills, especially synonyms
- When teaching about pi in math class
- For "Pi Day" each year on March 14th
- Anytime you are looking for a fun cross-curriculum activity for math and ELA
To help with this activity, I have created a Google Sheets "Pi Poem" template. The template makes it easier to create your poem with helpful boxes for each letter of each word. See below to get your own copy of the template, directions for use, some other helpful tech hints for the project, and a sample finished product.