Captions are a powerful tool for all learners.
- They can help beginning readers to connect the spoken word with the written word.
- They can help language learners who are still learning the language.
- They can help when you are in a noisy or distracting environment.
- And they can simply help you catch things you may have missed otherwise.
I personally use captions for everything I watch and they have helped me tremendously.
Thankfully most audio and video now has captions as an option.
- YouTube has auto-generated captions
- Google Slides has Live Captions when presenting
- Google Meet has a caption option any user can turn on.
But what if you come across something that doesn't provide captions? Well Google Chrome has you covered with built-in Live Captions.
See below for a short tutorial video and written directions on how this works.