- All web-based - edit from any device with Internet access.
- Easy but powerful - Quickly set up a basic website, or design a very complex site.
- Google integration - insert docs, forms, presentations, spreadsheets, images, videos, maps, and more.
- Multiple sites - create as many sites as you wish.
- Storage - 100GB for your domain. However you can also link in files from Drive and other services to avoid reaching this limit.
- Public or private - make certain pages public or private, and choose who is allowed to see the private pages. Great for content that should only be accessed by staff or specific students.
- Collaboration - Share edit rights with others, so other people can help edit and add to the site. Can be done on a per-page level to share edit rights with just certain people and for just certain pages on your site.
Because Google Sites is such a powerful web design tool, it can take a while to investigate all the options and master each of the features. To help with this I have been doing a series of one-hour webinars on using Google Sites for Schools. I now have three hours of video training available covering basic to advanced Google Sites use.
See below for each of the three recorded webinars, along with a brief outline of what each training covers. You will also find my detailed 26-page help guide on creating a Google Site for your classroom.
Video Training - Session #1
Direct YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_faGpAN_OSU
- Benefits of Google Sites
- Creating a Site
- Changing the theme
- Editing the welcome page (text, images, links)
- Adding another page (Calendar)
- Sharing the Site
Video Training - Session #2
Direct YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UXmceNbnFI
- Creating additional pages
- Web page (inserting images, videos, slideshows, non-Google files)
- Forms and Doc page
- Announcement page
- List page
- Photo gallery page
Video Training - Session #3
Direct YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIm6NKxlPNU
- Navigation (sidebar, horizontal navigation)
- Site layout and header
- Page-level permissions
- Duplicating and deleting pages
Below is a link to my detailed 26-page help guide on creating a classroom website with Google Sites:
- Google Sites for Schools - Google Document link