Google provides several possible certification options for educators including Educator Level 1, Educator Level 2, Trainer, Innovator, and Administrator. Of these, Educator Level 1 and 2 are the place to start and are especially designed for teachers and other educators in a school setting.
To earn the status of Google Certified Educator Level 1 or 2 you need to take an online exam that shows your practical knowledge of using Google Apps for Education in a school setting, as well as demonstrate your ability to perform many tasks within the Google Apps suite of tools.
See below for two printable checklists covering every topic and skill addressed by the Level 1 and 2 tutorials, as well as an overview of these certifications, and the main points about the exams. In preparation for the exams, you can use these lists to keep track of the skills you have mastered and those you still need to address.
Below are the detailed listings of the topics covered in the Google Certified Educator Level 1 and 2 training resources. In preparation for the test, you can use these lists to keep track of the skills you have mastered and those you still need to address.
To develop these lists I went through all of the online certification tutorials provided by Google and pulled out every skill and topic covered. I then organized the skills by tool, removed duplicates, and arranged the items in a logical order.
These checklists are freely available for personal use, and are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial 3.0 United States license. In short, you can copy, distribute, and adapt this work as long as you give proper attribution and do not charge for it.
- Google Certified Educator Level 1 skill checklist - Google Document link
- Google Certified Educator Level 2 skill checklist - Google Document link
- If you're an educator who knows how to use Google tools in the classroom, this certification proves your proficiency.
- Level 1 Certified Educators (GCE1) have demonstrated the fundamental skills needed to implement Google for Education tools in the classroom to enhance teaching and learning.
- If you're an educator who is a super user and enthusiast of Google tools in the classroom, this certification proves your expertise.
- Level 2 Certified Educators (GCE2) have demonstrated the advanced skills needed to integrate Google for Education and other online tools to transform teaching and learning in schools.
For an overview of all the available Google certifications for educators see the slideshow below:
Google provides comprehensive online tutorial modules and lessons for both Level 1 and Level 2. You can work through these lessons at your own pace to learn or review the skills and topics you need to master for the exams. The tutorials can be found online at:
- Google Certified Educator Level 1 tutorials (approximately 12 hours to complete) - https://skillshop.exceedlms.com/student/path/61209-fundamentals-training
- Google Certified Educator Level 2 tutorials (approximately 10 hours to complete) - https://skillshop.exceedlms.com/student/path/61210-advanced-training
- Google Certified Educator Level 1 and Level 2 exams are taken online.
- For each exam you are given 180 minutes to finish.
- The cost for the Level 1 exam is $10.
- The cost for the Level 2 exam is $25.
- The certifications are good for 36 months.
In Person Certification Training
If your school or organization is interested in certification training, I provide onsite, in-person professional development to prepare educators for the Level 1 and Level 2 exams. My typical training is 2 to 4 days of in-depth, hands-on coverage of every skill needed for the certifications.
Feel free to contact me for more details at email@example.com or view my Services page for more information at http://www.controlaltachieve.com/services